Randy Rainwater’s co-host on Drive Time Sports, Rick Schaeffer is also director of communications for the Springdale School District. He has been a member of the Drive Time Sports team since April, 2002.
Former Sports Information Director at the University of Arkansas, Schaeffer is in his 28th season as color analyst on Razorback basketball broadcasts. He also is in his ninth year of working with Chuck Barrett on Razorback baseball radio broadcasts. He does statistics and pre-game, halftime and post-game comments on the UA football broadcasts and writes a column for the Arkansas Razorback Sports Network website.
In the spring of 2003 he and his wife, Adelaide, founded Champions For Kids, a support and training organization that works with youth oriented non-profits. Adelaide is executive director for Champions For Kids and Rick does part time work for the organization.
Author of “The Game of My Life” that was published in 2005, Schaeffer has just completed his second book, “Inside The Razorback Vault,” a history of University of Arkansas football that is filled with photos, some rare, and memorabilia. It is scheduled to be in bookstores in the spring.
He and his wife have been married 25 years. They have nine dogs, Chelsea, Shiloh, Jasmine, Happy, Allie, Buddy, Bitty, Molly and Ripken.
GET TO KNOW RICK!
1. What was your favorite toy when you were a kid? Baseball Cards (still are)
2. What's your favorite bumper sticker? If You Can Read This You Are Following Too Closely
3. If you could have picked your own name, what would it be? Wouldn’t change
4. What was the name of your first pet? Sinbad (dog)
5. What’s a good movie title to sum up your life story? It’s A Wonderful Life
6. If you were an animal, what would you be? Rhinoceros (they’re really cool looking)
7. If you could meet any person in the world, who would it be? Cal Ripken, Jr.
8. If you had 3 wishes from a genie, what would you ask? Elimination of poverty, thankful spirit in all Americans, a national championship for Razorback football
9. What did you dream you'd be when you were growing up? Major League baseball announcer (when I realized I didn’t have enough ability to play at that level)
10. Who is your favorite super hero? Cal Ripken, Jr. (he’s super to me)
11. What's the most childish thing about you? Love for dogs
12. What did you have for breakfast? Coca Cola
13. Favorite color? Red
14. What kind of shampoo do you use? Orange Ginger from Bath and Body Works
15. Favorite TV show? Sportscenter
16. Favorite pizza? Canadian Bacon
17. Favorite vacation place? San Destin, Florida
18. Shoe size? 10 ½
19. Favorite ice cream? Vanilla
20. Favorite board game? APBA (baseball game)
21. Favorite food? Ice Cream
22. Favorite restaurant? Abuelo’s (we don’t have Mexico Chiquito in northwest Arkansas)
23. First car? 1972 Datsun 510
24. Favorite animal? Dogs
25. Favorite sports team? Baltimore Orioles (other than Arkansas Razorbacks)
26. Favorite movie? Field of Dreams
27. Favorite book? The Bible
28. Favorite letter? Ephesians (Paul’s letter in the Bible), if the question is about the alphabet, “A”.
29. Favorite soda pop? Coca-Cola
30. Favorite season? Spring
31. Have you ever broken a bone? If so, what? No
32. Favorite city? Boston (other than northwest Arkansas)
33. Favorite song? Turn, Turn, Turn by the Byrds
34. Favorite band? The Byrds
35. Worst TV show? Rarely watch TV
36. What’s your favorite thing to cook? Pork Chops (on the grill)
37. Favorite actor? Sean Connery
38. Favorite actress? Catherine Zeta-Jones
39. Favorite fruit? Banana
40. Favorite vegetable? Raw Broccoli
41. Worst vegetable? Squash
42. Favorite car? Ford Taurus
43. Name of your high school? Putnam City (Oklahoma)
44. What kind of toothpaste do you use? Crest
45. Favorite desert? Ice Cream
46. Favorite cereal? Total with cranberry pieces
47. Ducks or turtles? Ducks
48. Favorite time of day? 4-7 (Drive Time Sports)
49. Favorite country to visit? Never visited another country, would love to visit New Zealand
50. What kind of deodorant do you use? Right Guard (for Marcus Elliott’s position at Arkansas)
51. How tall are you? 6-0
52. Ever been sky diving? No
53. What’s the craziest thing you have ever done? Tried to use a surf board in Hawaii. Could never get up.
54. Favorite holiday? Easter
55. Favorite reindeer? Clyde The Camel (filled in for Rudolph in Ray Stevens’ song “Santa Claus Is Watching You)
56. Favorite saying? Proverbs 3:4-5 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding. Acknowledge Him in all your ways and He will make your paths straight.”
57. Do you play any instruments? No
58. Can you do a cartwheel? No
59. Favorite cartoon? Heckel and Jeckel
60. Do you wear slippers? No
61. Plaid or polka dots? Plaid
62. How many states have you lived in? And what were they? 4, Missouri, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas
63. Worst bowling score? Can’t remember, probably around 88 or so
64. Dogs or cats? DOGS!!!!!
65. Ever been horseback riding? Yes
66. Favorite Christmas special? Charlie Brown Christmas
67. Hippo or giraffe? Giraffe
68. Favorite fish? Red Snapper
69. How many cavities do you have? None currently, probably have six or seven fillings
70. Favorite salad dressing? Ranch
71. Mustard or mayo? Mayo
72. Favorite chip? Frito’s
73. Favorite cheese? Cheddar
74. Favorite magazine? Sports Illustrated
75. Best childhood memory? First baseball game, St. Louis Cardinals vs. Pittsburgh Pirates, old Busch Stadium, 1960. My grandfather took me.
76. Who is your hero? My wife, Adelaide