RJ was born in Midland, Texas on October 26th. He went to high school in Athens, Texas and then went to the University of Central Arkansas. While at UCA, he was active with the UCA baseball team and worked at the campus radio and TV stations; KUCA and Channel 6 news. He did play-by-play for the Bears baseball team for 2 seasons as well as the UCA postgame show after every football and basketball game. RJ also did special interest packages for the “Clint Conque Show” which aired in Conway on Channel 6 and KATV Channel 7 in Little Rock. He has worked at several different stations across the state of Arkansas doing play-by-play for different high schools, and currently works on all the high school broadcasts for 103.7 The Buzz. RJ joined The Buzz in the summer of 2007 as an intern, and worked part-time as a producer. In July 2008, RJ got hired full-time as a producer/promotions asst. He currently anchors all the sports slams and you can hear him on the high school state championship broadcasts. RJ is now the Producer and contributor on The Show With No Name (M-F 6-10am).
Follow RJ on Twitter @RJHawk
GET TO KNOW RJ!
1. What was your favorite toy when you were a kid? I was a big fan of the J.I. Joe toys…It made me feel like I had control of the world in the palm of my hand..
2. What's your favorite bumper sticker? “Women love Exclamation points!!! But they hate Periods.”
3. If you could have picked your own name, what would it be? David
4. What was the name of your first pet? Dixie- def. not my choice in names
5. What’s a good movie title to sum up your life story? “The Fast and Furious” make your own jokes
6. If you were an animal, what would you be? I think I would be a gorilla…they seem pretty cool
7. If you could meet any person in the world, who would it be? If he were still alive I would Jack Buck, but now it would have to be Vin Scully.
8. If you had 3 wishes from a genie, what would you ask?
1) A money tree that never runs out
2) A wealth of knowledge about everything
3) The ability to read minds
9. What did you dream you'd be when you were growing up? I always have wanted to be a sports radio/TV broadcaster.
10. Who is your favorite super hero? Superman!!!
11. What's the most childish thing about you? I tend to get a bit excited about things to quick before they actually have plans of happening
12. Who is your favorite Star Wars character? Luke Skywalker if I have to choose…I’m not much of a sci-fi nerd
13. What did you have for breakfast? I normally don’t eat breakfast
14. Favorite color? Blue and Orange
15. What kind of shampoo do you use? Pantene ProV
16. Favorite TV show? Big Brother on CBS..I’m going to be on that show one day!
17. Favorite pizza? Pepperoni
18. Favorite vacation place? Cabo or the Bahamas
19. Shoe size? 11.5
20. Favorite ice cream? I hate ice cream…Not a big fan of creamy things
21. Favorite board game? Monopoly
22. Favorite food? Mexican Food
23. Favorite restaurant? Texas Brazil
24. Favorite candy? Snickers and soft peppermints
25. First car? 1989 Dodge Ram Charger
26. Favorite animal? Dogs
27. Favorite sports team? Football: Dallas Cowboys and the Texas Longhorns; Basketball: Dallas Mavericks; Baseball: Atlanta Braves and Texas Rangers; Hockey: Dallas Stars
28. Favorite movie? There’s a bunch, mainly sports movies: The Natural, Friday Night Lights, Any Given Sunday, and Glory Road
29. Favorite book? Bleachers & 12 Mighty Orphans
30. Favorite letter? Well there’s two….R and J
31. Favorite soda pop? Coca-Cola
32. Favorite season? Summer
33. Have you ever broken a bone? If so, what? Nope, just ligaments and tendons
34. Favorite city? Dallas
35. Favorite song? All Summer Long by Kid Rock
36. Favorite band? Randy Rogers Band, Kenny Chesney, Jimmy Buffet
37. Worst movie? Pineapple Express
38. Worst TV show? I love New York
39. What’s your favorite thing to cook? Stroganof
40. Favorite actor? Denzell Washington
41. Favorite actress? Jennifer Aniston….she’s so HOTT!
42. Favorite fruit? Canalope
43. Favorite vegetable? Potato
44. Worst vegetable? Broccoli
45. Worst fruit? Kiwi
46. Favorite car? Chevy Tahoe
47. Name of your high school? Athens Senior High
48. What kind of toothpaste do you use?’ Crest
49. Favorite doughnut? Glazed from Krispy Kreme
50. Favorite desert? Anything chocolate
51. Favorite cereal? Raisin Bran
52. Ducks or turtles? Ducks I suppose, just because of the AFLAC duck
53. Favorite time of day? 4-7pm
54. Favorite country to visit? I really want to go to Australia
55. What kind of deodorant do you use? Old Spice
56. How tall are you? 6’0
57. Ever been sky diving? NO!!! Standing on earth is much more amusing to me
58. What’s the craziest thing you have ever done? LOL…where do I start…seems like everyday tops the next…
59. Favorite holiday? Christmas
60. Favorite reindeer? Really are we being serious….I mean Rudolph I guess cause he had the red nose
61. Favorite saying? It is what it is
62. Do you play any instruments? No….unless you call the tambourine an instrument, but that still is very marginal
63. Can you do a cartwheel? Yea I think so, it’s been awhile
64. Favorite cartoon? King of the Hill
65. Do you wear slippers? Nope
66. Plaid or polka dots? Plaid…but I’m not a big fan of dots
67. How many states have you lived in? And what were they? 2…Texas and Arkansas
68. Worst bowling score? I’m a pretty good bowler…I think the worst I have ever done is like 90, but the best is 230
69. Dogs or cats? Dogs
70. Ever been horseback riding? Yea unfortunately…Not a big fan
71. Favorite Christmas present? My 12 gauge shotgun a couple of years back
72. Hippo or giraffe? Hippo…they are quite intimidating
73. Favorite cookie? Chocolate Chip
74. Favorite fish? Bass..they are tasty
75. How many cavities do you have? None, the dentist loves me
76. Favorite salad dressing? Ranch
77. What spicy food do you like? Pretty much anything spicy..I’m from Texas we like all things spicy
78. Mustard or mayo? Mustard
79. Favorite chip? Jalapeno Chips
80. Favorite cheese? Swiss
81. Favorite magazine? ESPN, Sports Illustrated, and Today’s Man Magazine
82. Best childhood memory? I don't know if they are the best but the things that bring up the most laughs are the LONG trail rides that I hated going with the family.
83. Who is your hero? My mom…she has had to go through a lot and has taught me so much about having to prepare for life after school.